It’s a bit hard to summarize the 14 days I recently spent in Bali with my favorite person; 10 nights in Ubud and 4 coastal nights attending a Balinese – Sikh wedding. I could tell you all the things that you’ve already heard a million times, but instead I’ll tell you what I didn’t know and what you may not know about this magical place. Isn’t that really the best part of traveling? Not always knowing what is about to unfold. Ohh and the recipe to my favorite tropical drink? Let a watermelon sit out on your counter a few days, blend with fresh lime juice to taste. No need to strain, just chill, and then relax.
1) Luwak coffee? This sh*t (literally) is all the rage
2) All the sugar on the table is Palm Coconut Sugar. No wonder they don’t have rocket high rates of diabetes.
3) You most likely will be invited into a restaurant and allowed to play the owner’s guitar all night.
4) Rice fields are more beautiful than the ocean.
5) Nothing quite compares to dancing to Punjabi music.
6) Women are capable of carrying 3 tiers of cinder blocks on their heads.
7) Don’t feel guilty about eating the American Food, the best hash browns I’ve ever tasted were in Bali.
8 ) Straight men can and do hold hands in public, couples should not.
9) What has been legalized in Cali will get you executed in Bali.
10) 8 Month olds ride on motorcycles, on their mother’s laps.
11) We didn’t do yoga nor meditate even once.
12) I learned what a real smile really looks like. The Balinese are the happiest people on the planet.
13) Never ever fly China Airlines.
14) There is definitely something to the whole “Eat, Pray, Love” phenomenon… I am more in love now than ever.